Safety at Home
- Keep electric cords away from heat sources and water.
- Never try to override three prong plugs.
- Too many appliances on one outlet creates a fire hazard.
- Disconnect extension cords when not in use.
- Ground Fault Interrupters (GFI) and Surge Guard surge protectors can help protect you from injury and damage to your valuable electronic equipment.
- Never fly kites or model airplanes near overhead power lines.
- Always look up and be aware of your surroundings when working outside with ladders, extension equipment or on roofs.
- Don't touch downed power lines. Always assume the wires are energized. Call (804) 834-2424 to report the downed lines.
- Never put staples or nails into utility poles. They increase the risk of falls or punctures to the protective safety gloves of the linemen who climb them.