Job Opportunities at PGEC
If you have the desire to provide an extraordinary level of member services and are looking for a caring, competent working environment then you are in the right place! Prince George Electric Cooperative provides challenges, opportunities and growth. For additional information contact Debbie Grein, Human Resources Specialist: firstname.lastname@example.org.
PGEC is seeking a qualified Master Mechanic to provide safe, effective, and efficient maintenance, repairs, and troubleshooting on all fleet vehicles, line construction equipment, right-of-way equipment, and all related tools.
- Complying with practices and procedures in accordance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Prince George Electric Cooperative safety manual.
- To promptly report to the Vice President of Operations of employee performance problems or violation of safety rules and such regulations.
- To study and maintain knowledge of the Cooperative's safety rules and follow safety rules in performing duties. Participate in safety programs and make contributions that may be beneficial for the safety of fellow employees.
- The working environment of this position will vary from inside work to outside work and in inclement weather conditions.
- Duties require lifting, standing, stooping, crawling, using ladders and work in prone or difficult positions.
- To be available for work outside regular business hours to respond to emergency situations.
- Overtime work may be required to complete job tasks.
- To follow required Cooperative policies and procedures.
- To work with other employees in a cooperative manner.
- To comply with any residency requirement of the Cooperative as required for emergency response; with initial employment and if residence is changed during employment. Employee must promptly notify the supervisor of any change in residence.
- Is familiar with hazardous materials used in the performance of the job and observes all safety and environmental rules and regulations that pertain to use, handling, and disposal of these hazardous materials.
- Maintain Class A CDL license and perform the necessary inspections on assigned trucks, trailers, and equipment.
- Maintain inspection and maintenance records as necessary for vehicles and equipment.
- Communicate with a two-way radio as necessary while observing FCC rules and Cooperative procedures.
- Performs periodic maintenance on vehicles, equipment, and related tools to ensure safe operations and extended service life.
- Maintains reasonable inventory of parts to ensure prompt repair and reduce downtime.
- Must maintain proper state inspection license and perform Virginia Department of State Police inspections on trucks and trailers to assure vehicles are safe and roadworthy.
- Perform all necessary annual state vehicle inspections as required by law.
- Maintains shop area in a neat and orderly fashion and ensure a safe work environment.
- Maintain and perform required scheduled inspections of assigned first aid supplies and fire extinguishers for facilities and fleet.
- Ensure that all required third party inspections for shop equipment are completed, as necessary.
- Tag all vehicles, equipment, and tools that are not in safe operating condition and awaiting repair as “out of service”.
- Participate in vehicle and equipment specification and bidding process.
- In addition to these responsibilities, other duties may be assigned by the Vice President of Operations perform other duties from time to time.
- All other duties as required.
Vice President of Operations: To receive instructions, assistance, and guidance. To report information relevant to the status of assigned responsibilities; to consult on problems; to seek necessary approvals and to keep informed of departmental and Cooperative policies and procedures. Annual performance reviews will be rendered by the VICE PRESIDENT OF OPERATIONS.
Assigned Personel: NONE
Other employees: Must maintain a good working relationship and participate in exchanging ideas, information, and job experience to promote a safe, strong, efficient Cooperative.
Members: To accept responsibility for service to the member; to courteously assist member or have their request handled by another employee as appropriate; to make every effort to meet the member's expectations while meeting cooperative goals; to maintain an open mind and ability to understand the customer’s point of view.
Wage and Salary Information
This is a non-exempt position under the Wage & Hour law and overtime compensation is paid.
Education: High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
Experience: Ten years of experience as a mechanic, part of which may be substituted for vocational/technical education.
Job Knowledge: Must have sound knowledge of the proper and safe use of the tools and equipment used in maintenance, repair, and troubleshooting work. Must have a thorough knowledge of first aid and CPR. Must have knowledge of hydraulic system operation and repair. Must have knowledge of maintenance, repair, and troubleshooting of areal devices, digger derricks, trenching and excavating equipment, winches, tools, small engines, and vehicles. Must have knowledge of welding and fabrication. Should be willing to attend training courses relating to his/her area of work.
Abilities and Skills: Must be skilled in properly and safely working with mechanic’s equipment and tools. Must be skilled in all work required in connection with the responsibilities of the mechanic’s position. Must have the ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing. Must possess all skills necessary to execute job knowledge stated in the section above. Must have the ability to work independently to organize and prioritize work and meet deadlines. Must be a team player. Must be a certified Virginia state inspector. Must possess a valid class A CDL Driver’s License.
Submit application to Debbie Grein Human Resource Specialist P.O. Box 168, Waverly, VA 23890 or email to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
“Prince George Electric Cooperative is an equal opportunity provider and employer”