Existing Electric Service - Residential
"Residential" services include single-family homes, apartments, mobile homes, garages, and workshops. Some churches are also included in this group. Your application process will depend on whether this is an existing electric service or new construction.
Checklist for establishing service for a Residential account
• Membership Application (completed and signed)
• Copy of Driver’s License or picture I.D.
• Rental Agreement/Deed/Signed Purchase Contract or Closing Documents (address must be shown on document)
• Activation fee - $30.00
• Membership fee - $5.00
• Credit Reference Letter (if applicable)
*Must be from your most recent electric company
*Must have been within the past 12 months with prior/current company
*Must have 12 months of satisfactory service with 11 bills paid on time, no disconnect for nonpayments, and/or no returned checks.
*The account name of the prior electric company must be in the same name as the applicant/joint applicant for PGEC to waive the security deposit
• If a security deposit is required, it may be paid in three monthly installments. The first installment is due immediately; the second and third installments can be billed during your first two months of billing. You also have the option of paying the full security deposit immediately.
• Typically, electric service is connected the following business day once a completed application and all documents are received. If you have any questions, please contact a member service representative at (804) 834-2424. Our fax number is (804) 834-8217 for the Waverly office and (804) 863-1332 for the Prince George office.
New Construction - Residential
New Service Info (For new construction – location has never had electric service)
- Site Plan with meter base location marked if there is no well and septic for this area
- Copy of the recorded deed (legal description of property including Deed Book and Page or instrument number
- Plat (showing property lines)
- Completed Application for Membership
If found to be necessary, the security deposit amount will be the equivalent of your estimated maximum liability for two consecutive months' usage. If the security deposit exceeds $40, you may request up to three monthly installments. The deposit will be refunded to you one year after the full deposit has been paid if your account is residential, and two years after the full deposit has been paid if your account is commercial; provided you have paid your account in a timely manner. The Cooperative will pay interest on security deposits held longer than ninety days at a rate determined by the Virginia State Corporation Commission.
If you are requesting service to be disconnected, please contact the member services department with your request. The cooperative will disconnect the service within a reasonable time after receipt of your request. Failure to notify the cooperative of your request to terminate service keeps you responsible for all services until a disconnect notice is received. PGEC will issue you a final bill for services up to the date of disconnection less any outstanding security deposits.
Please keep the cooperative informed of your future addresses to ensure any future Capital Credit refund checks reach you without delay.
Please contact the member services department by telephone at 804-834-2424.